The provision of water requires a valid permit. There are three types of permit approvals:
New drinking water sources need to be assessed to identify and avoid potential contamination. Information collected is essential for supporting source protection efforts and proper treatment system design and operation.
Environmental Health Officers (EHO) evaluate new drinking water sources. Once completed, an Application for Water Supply System can be submitted to Engineering Direct at 250-565-2150 or email PHE@northernhealth.ca.
Review the following information prior to starting your application:
Construction permits are required by the Drinking Water Protection Act and must be obtained before the construction, installation, alteration, or extension of a water supply system.
- When designing a public water system prior to any construction work,
- Choosing a new water source,
- Making significant modifications to an existing water system, apply for a Water System Construction Permit Application (PDF).
Water System "Minor" Construction Permit Application
- You are applying on behalf of an existing water system,
- "Minor construction" is considered simple water-main extension to service a single lot with a pipe ø ≥ 75 mm (3 in) or to service ≤ 5 lots, apply for a Water System "Minor" Construction Permit Application (PDF).
- For larger projects, please use the normal Waterworks Construction Permit application form.
- Approval of Water Works (PDF)
An Operating Permit is required for community drinking water supplies by the Drinking Water Protection Act.
Once the Construction Permit is issued, your file will be forwarded to an Environmental Health Officer to begin the Operating Permit approval process.
- Permitting an existing water system as a public water system,
- Permitting an new water system as a public water system,
- Updating information for a permitted public water system, apply for a Water System Operating Permit Application (PDF).
Water System Operating Permit Application - Cistern
- Permitting a cistern as a public water system apply for a Water System Operating Permit Application - Cistern (PDF)
Water System Operating Permit Application - Water Hauling Truck
- Permitting a water hauling truck apply for a Water System Operating Permit Application - Water Hauling Truck (PDF)
For more information contact an Environmental Health Officer.